What is Trichloroethylene?
Trichloroethylene (TCE) is a stable, low-boiling, colorless, photo reactive liquid with a chloroform-like odor. TCE and products containing it have a wide range of applications:
• Solvent for vapor degreasing of metals
• Extraction solvent for oils, fats, and waxes
• Dry cleaning fluid
• Refrigerant and heat exchange liquid
• Typewriter correction fluid
• Paint removers
• Spot removers
• Cleaning and drying of electronic parts
• Glue solvent
• Textile processing
• Flushing liquid oxygen systems
Common trade names for industrial TCE include Triklone (ICI Chemicals & Polymers Ltd.), Neu-Tri (Dow Chemical Co.), and Vaposol AMC (Elm Trading & Marketing). Products containing TCE have numerous trade names, the most notable and commonly used product being Liquid Paper.